Black Fridays, Cyber Mondays popular in West; are now getting popular with Indians. But, what is important to note here is that alike all Cyber Monday or Black Friday deals, all such deals or shopping opportunities are not very safe. Hence, a logical question one must ask is : Am I ready for Safe Cyber Monday?
As, while we are endlessly waiting for Cyber Monday to shop more and save your money, and land the choicest of deals, the cyber-criminals are also be waiting eagerly for such days to take out fist full of money from our pockets.
Below are 11 Tips for intelligent and aware Indian, who’s always eager to surf, search and shop for best deals Online : ( Courtesy: eScan)
1. Make your system secure: Make sure the software installed in your system including Web browsers is up to date. In addition to it, make use of antivirus software, which will protect your system from all kinds of Malware attacks.
2. Restrain from using public Wi-Fi: Avoid using public computers and Wi-Fi connections for shopping and entering your personal information.
3. Research about seller and the product: Make use of search engines to know about the product by thoroughly searching with the exact name of the deal. In addition to it, read the reviews before jumping to conclusion.
4. Look out for Https website only: Many shopping websites use SSL to encrypt information and a padlock icon. Proceed with online shopping only if you see https connection.
5. Give pop-ups a taste of its own: Cyber-criminals make use of pop-ups to offer fake coupons, discounts, special offers and products. In addition to it, they re-direct victim’s current browser page to a compromised website.
6. Beware of suspicious links in Social Media: Cyber-crooks are making extensive use of social media to post luring deals by making use of fake or compromised Facebook accounts. eScan strictly warns its users to avoid clicking on such links or posting such links.
7. Avoid new apps: With rapid rise of mobile e-commerce apps, the users need to be extremely cautious while installing the app. A good antivirus software with internet security has wide range of products for Mobile Security for both Android and iOS.
8. Don’t shell out extra personal information: Apply brakes on websites, which ask you to enter sensitive information like Social Security numbers, password security questions.
9. Maintain records: It is always a good practice to print or save the records of goods purchased online until you receive it. This becomes handy when you didn’t receive the item or if the good is damaged or needs to be returned or exchanged. Also watch out for text messages which confirm your product delivery and then ask you for some personal information.
10. Never click on links having attachments on Cyber Monday Sale: These are nothing but phishing scams which lure victims to enter sensitive information.
11. Use Credit Card instead of Debit Cards: To be extra careful while shopping online, use your Credit Card for purchasing goods. Use of Debit Cards can give direct access to the criminals for debauchery.