Three basic rules to protect your system from ransomware and other malware that can harm your data on your PC or mobile devices:
- Always use Genuine anti-malware software (Purchased) and a software firewall that will help identify threats or suspicious behavior.
- Try to use Genuine Operating System on your device. Again genuine means purchased, of which you have the license.
- Keep Windows and browser-related components (Java, Adobe, and the like), as well as all other software updated and patched. Having a Genuine and not pirated Operating System, helps you ensure that.
- Be careful with opening any kind of e-mail attachments and links sent over social media (For example, CryptoLocker, a ransomware threat that has been in the news lately, spreads via .zip files sent as email attachments).
- Remember, there are three basic rules of web surfing a) Never believe unbelievable Offers b) Buy from reputed Sites Only c) If something either related to money or any human desire, looks very luring, never click that link.