Tips For Bicycle Safety For Indian Roads. Information About Bicycle Safety Gear such as Bicycle Helmet, Elbow and Knee Guards Etc.
I agree with you, India doesn’t have road infrastructure such as bylanes for bicycle riders . But still giving your school going Child a bicycle is much safer for the kid and less stress for you, than giving him/her a scooter or a motor bike (motor Cycle). Afterall, speed is risk; and a bicycle can’t be accelerated that much.
That said, just like a motorcycle or a scooter, a bicycle also needs safety gear like Bicycle helmet, Elbow & Knee guards or pads , and if the rider rides the bicycle on a busy road at night, then also a fluorescent top (worn over shirt) reflecting the light of the running vehicles. Among these , a Bicycle Helmet and a fluorescent Top is a must.
According to a the data released by Dayton Children’s Hospital , USA ,
“Helmets can reduce brain injury up to 85% and that’s really significant. The Helmet includes Bicycle Helmet as well.”
What kind of Bicycle helmet one should Buy :
Buy a Bicycle helmet that meets safety requirements, a safe helmet will have a tag from the Consumer Product Safety Commission and it will be clearly labeled on the helmet.
Benefits of buying a Bicycle for your Kid, along with vital Bicycle Safety Gear such a Bicycle Helmet :
1) The Child will be Safe
2) You as a parent will have less stress.
3) There’s a big difference between handing over a motorcycle or a bicycle to a school going kid. The big difference is : When a parent hands over a bicycle to a kid, and instructs him/her to follow safety precautions and traffic rules, the parent is indirectly making the kid more obedient and responsible. Some parents may be rich enough to even buy an aeroplane for the kid; but when they fulfill only those demands which conform to his/her age, they make the kid more grounded, responsible and obedient. It’s like Old Age Pension Scheme for parents.
Safety Precautions one should take (adults included) before Riding a Bicycle :
With so much traffic on Indian roads, taking full safety precautions while riding a bicycle is important. Intelligent people will not see this some weird thing to do . Foreigners who cover the entire country on Bicycles wear safety gear like Bicycle helmet for real reason.
Below are the Safety precautions every time you or your kid rides a bicycle :
1) Wear a Bicycle Helmet : The helmet must be tightly and properly strapped at the chin.
2) If possible have proper lighting on the bicycle, especially on the tail. Keep the taillight blinking in dark . At Least have good quality reflectors on the front and back.
3)Wear a White shirt while riding bicycle in the dar. It will be even better if you make your kid wear a Fluorescent Top (like the one Traffic police wear in Dark) while riding bicycle in the Dark.
4) Educate the kid on Basic Traffic Rules, such as :
a) Don’t overtake unnecessarily
b) Keep Left
c) Overtake only from the Right if the need be.
d) Never try to overtake a speedier and Heavier Vehicle.
e) Middle lanes are form vehicles with more Speed. Hence a Bicycle must not occupy the middle lanes.
f) Never Stop, Turn or change directions Abruptly.
The earlier you put your child to wearing Bicycle Helmet and respect traffic rules; the easier it’ll be for him/her to become a Law abiding citizen. Not to say, the kid will become more obedient too.