IGNOU University Results : Understanding Incomplete Status in Grade Card

IGNOU University, a Distance Learning university, any time has 30,00,000 learners enrolled for its various courses. That makes managing even simplest of tasks difficult. But still IGNOU university performs effectively.

One of the things, a large section of IGNOU students face difficulty interpreting, is the IGNOU Results.

IGNOU University ResultsWhat does ‘Incomplete’ Status in IGNOU Grade Card represent? is a common question.

To put in simple words, ‘Incomplete’ in IGNOU Grade card means ‘Fail’. If it’s written under Assignment, it means Fail in Assignment. If Incomplete is written under Term End Theory , it means Fail in Term End Theory; and if it’s under Term End Practical, then it means ‘Fail’ in TEP. Since IGNOU University is a distance learning university, which believes in educating people and continuance of learning process, hence it doesn’t use the word “Fail”. Instead IGNOU Grade Card uses “Incomplete”.

But there is catch here. IGNOU wants the learners not only pass the Assignment , Term End Theory and Term End Practical INDIVIDUALLY; but also collectively. What does this mean ? Here’s the explanation.

Individually, the pass marks for IGNOU MBA are (Can be different for different IGNOU Programmes, Please refer to your Student Booklet or Prospectus for pass marks specific to your programme. For instance for IGNOU MA English or MEG, the pass marks in assignments is 50 percent.)

Percentage of marks required to pass IGNOU Assignment or Continuous Evaluation : 40 percent or above

Percentage of marks required to pass IGNOU Theory or Term End Exam : 40 percent or above

If a student fails in Assignment or Term End Theory, he/she has to resubmit the IGNOU Assignment or Reappear in the IGNOU Term End Theory Exam.

• In case a learner is pass in assignment but fails in Term End Theory; then he has to ONLY reappear in Term End Theory (No need to resubmit the assignment.  IGNOU Assignment once submitted and Passed (or completed) are valid for entire programme duration).
  • If the learner has passed the Term End Exam, but failed in Assignment, then he has to resubmit the IGNOU assignment only ( the assignment to be resubmitted will be the fresh one. That’s if a learner wants to resubmit the assignment at Dec 2014 TEE, then he/she has to submit one uploaded at IGNOU for Dec 2014 TEE).

IGNOU uses the procedure explained below to create the Final result.

Collectively ( i.e when Assignment marks, Term End Theory marks and term End Practical marks contribute to final result ) the Percentage of marks required to pass or ‘Complete’ the IGNOU final result for a Subject/credit: 50 percent or Above

Lets take IGNOU MBA example to understand how IGNOU Final result is calculated.

In IGNOU distance MBA, for most papers, assignment and Term End Theory contribute to final result.The contribution of IGNOU Assignment to final result is 30 percent. And that of Term End Theory is 70 Percent.

IGNOU MBA Final Result for any paper will be calculated like this :

Say you got 40 marks in assignment and 40 marks in TEE (Term End Theory). Then the final result will look like :

40 x .3 + 40x.7 = 12 marks of assignment + 28 marks of TEE = 40 marks

Since collectively , a student needs 50 percent or more to pass the Paper; hence 40 marks will give Fail Status or ‘Incomplete’ Status in IGNOU Grade Card . You failed as over all one needs 50 marks or above.

Hope you understood.

If a student fails in IGNOU Final result for a paper; then he has to reappear in the said paper in the future TEE (need not to be the immediate TEE). If the student has not failed in Assignment, then he/she DOES NOT have to resubmit the Assignment. IGNOU Assignment once submitted and Passed (or completed) are valid for entire programme duration (For instance for IGNOU MBA, the maximum period to pass the MBA is 8 years).

• prerna subba Mar 20, 2015, 8:03 pm

kindly help with the pass marks for exams as i have appeared for BDP dec 2014 sessionAnd i have optained 38/100 in BEGE102 is that i am passed?

• A Bisht Apr 4, 2015, 5:36 pm

If the pass marks are 40 percent in theory alone, then unfortunately you have not passed the paper.

• prakash Aug 22, 2015, 7:57 am

Yes you are pass

Written pass marks 35

If you want you checked the result on ignou sites

• salu mathew May 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Dear Sir
    I’m doing MA English Literature in Jan 2014 session. my result came but showing like for MEG01 only 6 marks. rest of all subject got 50 and above. i did my assignment and exam well. then why showing like this. only 6 marks. then how will i get the break downs for assignments and TEE marks.
    My registration id is : ___________

Kindly Help

• A Bisht Jun 14, 2015, 7:36 am

Dear Salu,

What can be said about a person scoring less. Don’t take it too negatively. Re-appear in the exam.

• zakir hussai May 16, 2015, 5:39 pm

sir i have passed my MSO in year 2014 under enrollment No __________-. but unfortunately i can not receive my final Marks Card. kindly inform as possible .
    Name Zakir Hussain

• A Bisht Jun 14, 2015, 10:18 am

Dear Zakir,

Please visit your IGNOU Regional Centre for the answer.

• S May 19, 2015, 11:11 am

Hi,

If I have received 40 marks in assignment, then is it considered pass for that particular assignment? Please let me know.

• Sangita kataria Jun 18, 2015, 2:20 pm

Thanks, It helped me a lot.

• cathy Jul 13, 2015, 4:18 pm

sir, suppose if i fail in theory paper in final exam in meg. will i pass if my assignment marks be added? if i get pass marks in the assignment

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 12:15 pm

You need to pass assignment and TEE individually as well.

• T Aug 3, 2015, 8:58 pm

if i fail to clear TEE in june 2016 then when can i reappear for the same exam…in dec 2016 or in june 2017??

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 11:40 am

dec 2016 ignou tee.

• kuldeep Aug 7, 2015, 11:16 pm

sir i got 36 marks in fst-01 of
    theory exam sir am i pass or
    fail?whtz is % pass mrks out of 50 ??

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 10:59 am

Assuming that the pass marks are different for different ignou programmes. I request you to look into the Student Handbook, sent to you along with the ignou study material.

• Gagan Aug 7, 2015, 11:47 pm

I have got result of four subjects but i have given exams of 6 subjects and it is written above the result “result incomplete”.what does that mean?

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 10:57 am

Request you to look into previous comments for the answer.

• Amit Aug 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Respected Sir, kindly help with the pass marks for exams as i have appeared for MEG course june 2015 session And i have optained 34/100 in meg06 term end theory and 55/100 in assisgnment, is that i am passed?

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 11:09 am

From the look of it appears you are pass in Assignment but have failed in the theory. To know the minimum pass marks in TEE for your ignou programme. Refer to the Student hand book dispatched to you along with the Study material.

• Mradul Yadav Aug 8, 2015, 6:42 pm

COURSE CODE & ASSIGN TERM END THEORY STATUS

MHI01- 79 46 COMPLETD
    MHI-02- 78 – NOT COMP
    MHI04- 75 40 COMPLETD
    MHI05- 76 – NOT COMP

What does ‘Not completed’ means here?

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 10:52 am

Since there is – this means that Assignment marks are yet not updated or declared.

• siddharth Aug 9, 2015, 5:15 pm

Dear sir,
    i have given bpp exam in june 2015 in Grade card on website it is showing:
    course Asgn1 Term End theory Status
    OMT – 20 Not completed
    OSS 38 44 Completed.
    Sir I am pass or fail..

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 11:22 am

Question already answered earlier.

‘-‘ in ignou OMT means Result awaited or not declared yet.

• Koustubh Aug 9, 2015, 9:32 pm

I have scored 40 in MEG 1 and 66 in assignment.. I have passed indivisually in theory as well as assignment.. But calculation using above criteria, 70% theory and 30% assignment my total is comming 47.8
    So did i fail the subject????

• A Bisht Aug 10, 2015, 11:06 am

For humanities, the pas marks can be even lower than 40 percent.hence if you have scored 47.8,the answer is evident. That’s you should be pass.

• AMIT Aug 10, 2015, 10:52 pm

Respected Sir, I have scored 50 in MEG 1 and 72 in assignment.. I have passed indivisually in theory as well as assignment.. But calculation using above criteria, 70% theory and 30% assignment my total is comming 56.6.
    So what is my final number?? is it 56, or 57????

• jagteshwar sohal Aug 11, 2015, 10:47 pm

hi please help me here,
    what is the meaning of this result card?
    asg tee
    mpa 11 75 60 completed
    mpa 12 75 52 completed
    mpa 13 75 – not completed
    mpa 14 75 45 completed

why is there a “-” in front of mpa 13 term end exam….have i failed or the paper has not been checked or what…really important to know ..plzz help

btw ,the the term end exam result also ,only 3 results of mine have been declared.no mention of the mpa 13…why?

• A Bisht Aug 19, 2015, 9:09 am

Means the result of mpa 13 is not declared yet. IGNOU doesn’t declare the results of all papers or assignments at the same time.

• zuby Aug 16, 2015, 1:49 pm

Sir mne bcom 2nd yr k exam die the 7 subjct k exm die the..to unme s mere 3 me to 50 me 18 se kum h n ek me 100 me s 27 or ek subjct ka nhi aya..to sir isme me all fail hu ya re exm dungii…

• A Bisht Aug 17, 2015, 10:39 am

jisme fail hain keval unke re-exam dengi aap.

• sashmi Aug 30, 2015, 8:45 pm

Hello sir,my mpa tee 1st yr was 2015 june.bt unfortunately I didn’t appeard,I want to appear 1st yr papers in 2016 june.can I appear at dat time??? Please reply..

• A Bisht Sep 3, 2015, 9:02 am

You can appear in them in December 2015 TEE as well.

• Javeria Sep 15, 2015, 2:36 pm

In my grade card the assignment marks is not showing but i have submitted it.Only the theory marks are there and the status is showing as not completed. What does it mean ?? What do I have to do ?

• A Bisht Sep 16, 2015, 11:28 am

Means Assignment result is yet not declared.

• Divya Sep 15, 2015, 8:32 pm

I got 37/100 in mps I m pass…?

• A Bisht Sep 16, 2015, 9:48 am

Depends what pass marks are for your IGNOU Programme. also you have not mentioned, ate these TEE marks or over all marks. I suggest you to refer to the IGNOU MPS Programme Student Book which you would have received along with the study material. If you send your enrollment number then may be we can offer better help.

Thanks admin