Man sucked into MRI machine and taking safety measures casually

We as a country are very casual about safety in our daily lives. We take safety for granted. For instance, we get fire extinguishers and hoses mounted on the walls of our public buildings, only to forget about them. It rarely strikes us that installing such safety equipment is just one part of the safety measure. After all these safety equipment will not work by young man sucked to death by MRI machine, In the recent incident where a young man is sucked in to death by an MRI machine in a Government Hospital speaks why educating people about safety proceduresthemselves. Some human being has to unmount them and us them. But still, neither we nor our city planners, police, schools, hospitals etc ensure educating people about it. How to use a fire extinguisher, how to use a fire extinguishing water hose, we’re never taught these things. We are not even properly trained at how to safeguard ourselves or evacuate big buildings (schools, colleges, hospitals, even houses etc.) in an even of fire, earthquake or other life threatening situation. For some reason, we assume that when some calamity (in Hindi ‘Vipada’) strikes, children in a class will safely and quickly evacuate the building. This is our wishful thinking as without repeated mock drills, you cannot expect children to accomplish that.

We don’t need Governments to do that the management of a building, institution, school can easily educate people about these safety measures. In the recent incident where a young man is sucked in to death by an MRI machine in a Government Hospital speaks why educating people about safety procedures and safety drills is not the function of the Government. For the said incident, the hospital is to be blamed. Had the hospital management taught some basic Dos and Donts to all its staff (beyond the MRI department), the young man accompanying the patient wouldn’t have entered the MRI is with a metallic oxygen cylinder.

Comments on this entry are closed.